Virtuous cycle

Bartlomiej Owczarek weblog

Return to 'Virtuous cycle' home page

All the women of Simon Mol

Simon Mol (Simon Moleke Njie), an exile from Cameroon, was accused of knowingly infecting his sexual partners with HIV and arrested. He is a writer, poet, and creator of an Migrator Theater. He lives in Poland since 1999.

His relations included young women fascinated by his poetry and human rights campaigns. Some of them allegedly informed him about the disease after learning that they were infected: African kind of a virus, with a very aggressive profile. Pharmaceuticals had to be used months after the infection, while normally it takes couple of years before it is necessary.

Gazeta Wyborcza:

Monika O., literature student who met with Simon Mol 11 months earlier, contacted the police in November this year.

– I was attracted by journalism, I wanted to write about Migrator Theater – she describes. – I was fascinated by human rights activist fighting with racial stereotypes. Soon we started to meet, went to bed. I didn’t suspect that he could infect me with HIV virus and even less, hide from me that he is infected. I also thought that suspecting him of being infected would equal giving way to stereotypes. Thus we made love unprotected.

Simon Mol on his web page:

Of Life & Death

Life, Death, Life.
Light, Darkness, Light, Darkness;
Light, Life?
Nothing Can Stop Nature.
Not even Nature Itself.

Maybe it’s immoral to feel for those affected (exact number unknown) more than for anonymous millions who die in Africa, but I do. They seem young and idealistic types who fell pray to a ruthless abuser. We emphasize empathize (thx Michal:) with ones that we identify ourselves with, I know.

Added 9th Jan: seems Rzeczpospolita picked the same title as me (but in Polish). New details, more women. Like a sad Almodovar movie. Hypothesis: Mol was infecting women as a way of racial revenge, or a weird african magic ritual: getting healed by passing disease to others.

I read some forums related to the case on the weekend, but not so many blogs. One of the forums was e-teatr (update: removed by administrator), where one of the victims started the thread by posting a warning against Mol in December. Soon the thread became dominated by the aggressive vulgar comments against the victims. I believe everyone can judge their behaviour on his own (even though without knowing the real personal context I would consider such judgement premature), but I can’t understand how you can post such things in the face of a person who is already sentenced to death for what she did.

While the comments mentioned above seem to be driven by hostility due to the fact that Mol is a black, the beatroot blog goes to the other extreme and tries to defend Mol (maybe not defend, but abstract the case into political sphere away from the actual human suffering) regardless of all. Even if I can appreciate taking a stand of a devil’s advocate, again, the message focuses on the culrpit and disregard the victims. In the comments someone notices that the author seems to find Mol suspected of a deed equal to spreading flu, which for me, if proven, would rather amount to a mass murder.

Gniewomir Świechowski
notices the comments too and sides with the victims. Mentions the painful question – why it took so long? It was likely known for years that Mol is infected (also to him), yet he was stopped only now.

Added Jan 12th: article about Simon Mol by Rebecca. I link to it because it?s written by someone who knew Simon personally and because it considers an issue of unfortunate impact of this case on attitude towards refugees, which I didn?t mention. As an additional bonus it?s in English.

Speaking of political playing of the issue, a site called The Brussels Journal quoted this article in one of their own titled Leftist Activism.

Added Jan 16th: New report in Gazeta Wyborcza by Jakub Janiszewski from TOK FM. Report mostly through the words of the victims: Beata (22), Sylwia (25), Marta (23), Monika (24).

They make no secret of how their relation started. Article is titled I was attracted by this force within him (my translation sucks for the lack of time). I remain with the feeling that they are guilty of stupidity and being naive, but of nothing else. Throw a stone. I translated the introductions below.

Beata (22): ?He was my first partner. I think I was somehow addicted to him. Why? I don?t know. Maybe I was fascinated by him. Maybe because he knew so much about Africa, and I was interested in this continent? Especially the religion. These beliefs they have, cult. He was to tell me about this and that?s how we met. Through acquintances.?

Sylwia (25): ?I was finishing my studies, didn?t have any job and the voluntary work by Migrator Theater seemed if not great, then at least some kind of option. Thus I came forward and prepared translations. To gain any kind of experience. I remember that initially Simon seemed a guy that no girl would fall for. Neither handsome, nor seducer, just plain. (?) I saw in him some kind of hero, I don?t know..? A fighter? He seemed stronger, better than me. (?) How did it come to this that I, who since being 8 years old knew that one has to protect himself, could go to bed with him and not think about a condom? I can?t come to terms with that to this very day. I was stupid, we were all very stupid.?

Marta (23) describes how she was accidentally approached by Mol while sitting with friends in the street of Warsaw?s old town. ?I saw him walk by. There was some magic to it. Our eyes met and I felt something between us. There was a spark. (?) I am deeply religious person, some say I have no link with reality. At that time maybe I really didn?t have it. I saw everything idealistic way, with no distance. Before Simon I had no other man.?

Monika (24): ?I was interested in Migrator Theater, and consequently, personality of Simon. We met. Went for a beer. Couple of days later he called me and we met at his place. I was undergoing a deep crisis then. My relation with a boyfriend, whom I was dating for a year, had fallen apart. Simon hit at that moment.?

Neither of the interviewees mentions any further chains of infection.

Subtitle: ?The only thing I can do now, is to save the next ones. Report about victims of Simon Mol?.

Added Jan 17th: beatroot finds my comment of his article nasty:

I don?t think that is fair comment at all.

The point of the second Mol post was about how some are trying to turn what are basic human tragedies, lives completely changed, suffering, into a political crusade. It is not me that is doing the abstracting, or the crusading.

What I meant is that neither beatroot?s first post, written to express skepticism towards the whole case in general and girls? accusations in particular, nor the second one, in which he moves on to worry about racists? use of the case, makes any effort to display sympathy for the victims. Beatroot writes ?Mol?s behaviour has taken on a much wider significance than to the lives that he has affected? and I agree, but since signs of the sympathy for these girls were something I was looking for at the time, I wrote the post to make for the apparent lack of them all around the internet.

Having said this, the comments referred to the particular message, rather than the person. And in fact, as he wrote, his life experience with victims of AIDS far exceeds mine.

Added Jan 19th: I already linked to Rebecca’s article for its unique perspective of someone who new Simon Mol personally, but now another reason to check it is a comment left by Mary, Simon’s former long time partner, the first comment to cast some doubt on part of the accussations. Mary claims to be Mol’s partner at a time when he supposedly had some of the relations described in the press, says she is healthy, and the woman he had had previously is healthy too (and her child as well).

In the same time, basing on her intimacy with Simon Mol, she expresses doubts whether the women quoted in the press really knew him. Ironically, earlier it was the press that accused Simon Mol’s friend of not knowing him at all. It gets interesting, the question – who Simon Mol really is?

Added Feb 1st: I would say I was again pretty much aligned with Rzeczpospolita, because they have done some work to shed some light on who Simon Mol really is. In the latest article by Bertold Kittel, Maja Narbutt, and Agata Byrska ask some questions about Mol?s financial activity: he was managing a one-person fundation and got granted an appartment by the committee he was a member of. They also mention some rather shadowy figures close to Mol, who are suspected of trying to threaten the witnesses. Rzeczpospolita also makes some nasty remarks about how easy it was for Mol to manipulate Gazeta Wyborcza?s journalists.

Added Feb 8th: Onet reports that even though infected women inform the police, they refuse to testify against Mol. Out of several women only four testify. On the other hand, police secured documents proving that Mol was diagnozed with HIV while in exile camp and he was informed that he is infected, therefore even without testimonies he will not avoid responsibility.

Added Mar 9th: Away in Moscow, I neglected to report the latest from Rzeczpospolita and TVN. We could see it coming. According to reporters’ investigation, Mol made up all the story about being politically repressed in his home country. I mention it just for the record. As the original title of this post suggests, Mol himself is of little personal interest of mine.

The article mentioned a specific fashion in Africa, related to guys cheating their way to the welfare countries with the approach similar to Mol’s. African prisons are supposedly filled with them, or at least the ones caught red-handed.

Earlier I read that the worst that could happen to Mol is to be extradicted to homeland, where he would surely be abused and tortured for his earlier activity. Now it seems he would rather have opportunity to share experiences with his fellows of the same trade.

So now the story lost some of its exotic allure and reached areas neighboring nigerian email scams and the like, African specific “entrepreneurship”. Which makes it even more sad somehow.

Added Dec 14th: According to GW, prosecution presented Mol with 13 formal charges – 12 are related to infecting women with dangerous virus, and 13th is related to illegal possession of a hand weapon (nunchaku). Two more cases of women are set aside, because they are currently abroad.

Added Oct 11th 2008: Wprost reported that Simon Mol died yesterday in a hospital. Onet wrote that he infected at least 40 women according to the prosecutor (much higher number than previously published). In September court decided to release him from prison due to his deteriorating health.

Comments

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

If you would like to leave a general comment about this site, you might want to use a guestbook.

1. Marta
    April 16th, 2007 | 12:40 am

How many Africans do you personally know?

Hundreds! So I know what I´m talking about.
    Surprised?
    IT´S TRUE!I had to deal with many of your ?brothas? for professional reasons.

How many of them are AIDS spreading demons?
    Many!
    And murderers, rapists, criminals, etc.

( Of course they are all innocent people and fantastic human beings since you already explained us blacks are mere victims of an oppressive and racist society)

But the way you act is not such a great example of the good character of your people.

2. Marta
    April 16th, 2007 | 12:45 am

He claims he wants to debate…but as long as he wins.
    Poor loser! LOL

3. Marta
    April 16th, 2007 | 1:29 am

Beatroot:
    Another victim of white racism:

4. Marta
    April 16th, 2007 | 1:31 am

Snoop Dogg has avoided a jail sentence after pleading no contest to gun and drug charges in a Californian court

This society is so unfair towards coloured people, isn’it Beatroot?

5. April 16th, 2007 | 7:50 am

Beatroot: surely these are not exactly the comments I would expect on this blog, but since they are limited to this one incidental article I decided not to take any special precautions just now. Not saying I would be having any problems doing so. After all it?s my blog so I can do whatever I want with the comments. It?s just that after deleting one comment I would be stuck forever with defining clear rules whether to delete or not the next one, so I wouldn?t bother unless really forced to.

I?m not sure with the idea that we should challenge all stuff that comes out. How exactly should you challenge someone?s comparing black people with animals? It?s just a brainless noise and responding to it will just generate more of it. It is best dealt ignored.

Thanks for clarification on racial prejudice. However, you took my point too far. Clearly it?s ridiculous to expect someone being a thief or HIV infector based on prejudice and most intelligent people are able to avoid this kind of thinking. My point was about not being naive about other people and expecting them to have the same cultural conditioning. The cultures are different and it is a fact. Is it wrong to take it into account while dealing with people?

We work with Italians and we typically expect them to be nonchalant about timing, have a bias for hierarchical structures, but also extrovert and fun to hang around with. Which is usually the case. They, on the other hand, consider Polish people to complain whenever opportunity arises, and being straightforward to the extreme. Which is usually the case. Somehow we usually get together quite well despite this well know prejudices:)

6. beatroot
    April 16th, 2007 | 9:14 am

There is a lot of talk about what to do with trolling at the moment – codes of conduct, etc. But you are right, it is probably better to ignore them. And you have perfect right to delete any comments you like…

And you are right about the Mol case. He will be put on trial and it will be sorted out in court. Until then there is not much more we can say about it.

7. MooN
    May 13th, 2007 | 8:08 pm

OH my god… I’ve just read all that bullshit. I don’t think you know any black person in Poland, let alone identify with her/his feelings. Because of such ignorant people (resisted saying prats) like you living in this country is difficult and unwelcome. Why the hell do you care about somebody’s sexual life? isn’t there anything interesting in yours? Using condoms is not a matter of trust but responsability and it lays on both sides. Simple as that.
    Perhaps, you should visit more modern countries than Poland and change your traditional, nazist-based attitudes. Reading your comments I realize that it will take ages to alter Poland’s image in Western Europe.shame.

8. Marta
    May 16th, 2007 | 2:14 pm

Poland?s image in Western Europe.shame.

And what is a modern image to you?
    Amsterdam?

9. Joe
    June 8th, 2007 | 1:30 pm

Ironically Mol’s actions enforce the anti-Black stereotype he worked so hard against. He has given ammunition to his enemies and through his actions has negated much of his positive work.

10. Joe
    March 14th, 2008 | 10:48 am

Mamboo is a f-ing moron. Saying YOU gave weapons to Africa, you started slavery, etc. What a dumb uneducated idiot! Poland never had slavery, was not responsible for the holocaust and didn’t supply Africa with weapons you stupid son of a bitch!

11. Joe
    March 14th, 2008 | 10:56 am

Fuck everybody that defends that AIDS spreading son of a bitch. How would you feel if he did it to you or your family? And no not all Polish ppl r racist, Mol deserves to be in jail, simple. He knew he had it (Police have proof) and it has nothing to do with racism you assholes. In the USA ppl that infect innocent ppl w/ hiv knowing they have hiv go to jail (40 years, for one person) period!

12. Marek
    April 13th, 2008 | 10:59 pm

?Fuck everybody that defends that AIDS spreading son of a bitch?

I agree 100%.

The main supporter of this criminal is Beatroot, the arrogant english expat.

Just have a look at what he wrote in his blog order to defend this murderer.He even insinuated that racists made up all this story.

He is as criminal as Simon Mol.

13. April 14th, 2008 | 11:03 am

People are just blaming Simon Mol. With all the aids campains that are being done all around the world to prevent aids,why didn´t these women use a condom?I think it’s a woman´s responsibility to use a condom as well.The women also had their own right to say NO,so the fault is from both sides not only Simon Mol´s.

14. Marek
    April 15th, 2008 | 12:27 pm

Some Wikipedia members are trying to delete the article about this criminal. It is yet another attempt to blackout the terrible crimes committed by a social parasite.

For these women it is surely a tragedy, but it’s their fault that they slept with a negro, so we can blame those women too for whats happened to them. He told every women he slept with, that using condoms when having sex with a black ‘man’, is act of racism.

15. Marek
    April 15th, 2008 | 7:50 pm

The most dramatic aspect of all of this are stories about Mol forcing women to have unprotected sex with him by arguing that using a condom with a black man is a sign of racism and racist fears; that it is politically incorrect. This is coupled with the fact that for many women, having unprotected sex with a black man fulfilled two politically correct obligations: it was trendy to have sex with a black man, and it was also a sign that one was not prejudiced against blacks.

“Simon Mol always accused everybody of racism. When you didn’t do what he wished, he would yell that it was because he was black. He never listened to any arguments, he would always just leave, slamming the door behind him. Everyone knew that he could make his accusations public, and everyone feared it,” says a person who runs a humanitarian organization that helps refugees. “It goes without saying; he terrorized us with political correctness. And he was very charming as well.”

Months ago, a certain woman, suffering from illness which could not be cured, tested positive for HIV. While talking to her, the doctor suddenly realized he was talking to the third woman in a short time who mentioned having had sexual contact with a man from Cameron. All of the victims immediately informed Mol that he had infected them with HIV. Mol’s reaction was always the same: he would accuse them of racism, of stereotyping, that all blacks have HIV. He would also say that even if he were sick, it is his private business.

16. Marek
    April 15th, 2008 | 7:52 pm

That women were actually convinced by Mol to engage in sex without a condom in order to avoid being accused of racism indicates that they were not only the victims of Simon Mol, but also of ideas which corrupted any semblence of common sense amongst them.

These ideas, often identified as “politically correct,” categorize people into groups of victims who believe they have some rights based on prior harms done by oppressive groups to their groups. In the case of Simon Mol, it appears Simon Mol believed that he had the right to unprotected sex with white women because white people oppressed and often still opress black people.

Civlization is wholly opposed to this barbarian view of human life. Civilization holds that by Nature, all Men are created equal and endowed with certain inalienable rights, and that there is no such thing as a “group” right, that “minority groups” do not have rights since the smallest minority is the minority of one Man, who is perfectly equal in rights to others.

Nature, however, is also imperfect. While we must do everything to keep an open mind, to honor the individual rights of all Men, we cannot be blind to the imperfection of Mankind. Political Correctness, with its’ relentless determination to rid the world of “prejudice” is deadly insofar as all common sense is based on pre-judgment; on prejudice, and a healthy prejudice is nothing more than prudence. Prudence dictates not to have unprotected sex with aggressive black men who yell at women who suggest using a condom and call it ‘racist.’

If some women had not been corrupted by the academia and the culture of political correctness to believe that they owed sexual gratification to Simon Mol on account of his skin color and status as a member of an “oppressed” group, this tragedy would have been avoided.?

Bertold Kittel, Maja Narbutt, Editor’s Comment by Peter S Rieth
    Rzeczpospolita nr 7
    09-01-2007

17. bebella
    May 19th, 2008 | 1:10 pm

folks,
    please this is serious and I need ur help:

I studied in Warsaw in 2002-2203 as an exchange student and I got to know Simon as my room mates boyfriend. No clue if he was ill at that point or not but Im sure my room mate wasnt just holding hands with him. Thats why I really want to contact her.
    Not knowing of all that, I was looking for old friends and her new email I googled Simon to ask him for her email. I came a cross this and I am seriously worried about her, if she knows, if she gets medical support, she may be infected and needs help. Can anyone tell me if there is something done to inform all the women he knew? Anyone any ideas what I should do?

sheers

b

18. June 8th, 2008 | 12:50 am

[…] you wonder, the reason for the examination was Russian visa, as opposed to anything connected with Simon Mol’s case. Let me tell you this, even if you are sure, you are never sure (think hospitals, hair dressers..). […]

19. May 6th, 2009 | 4:32 am

[…] c) Blacks […]

20. May 2nd, 2010 | 7:03 am

[…] Originally Posted by Saturnia You can't always believe even what you read on here. Unfortunately, it is a true story… Simon Mol, a Cameroon immigrant seeking political asylum in Poland, knowingly effect over 40 Polish women with the disease : Virtuous cycle […]

21. April 13th, 2011 | 5:40 am